Saturday, April 19, 2008

Is it too late to make a life change?

Spring has popped in New England. Seventy plus degrees today and I'm out digging up flowers rather than planting them. Nearly thirty years of day lilies, irises, peonies, and lily of the valley are giving room to heirloom vegetables - Cherokee Purple Tomato, Japanese Trifele Black Tomato, Australian Brown Onion, and Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts - all started from seed and purchased from http://www.seedsavers.org/ . There is a bureau in my living room in front of the picture window with an old lamp, a couple house plants and a basket - the usual stuff, stuff I can't even find now since trays of little pots with little green leaves have taken over. In fact my home has been taken over with piles of seed packets, growing guides, how-to books, and five gallon buckets.

This blog is intended to track and share my life change progress. Can someone over 59 succeed in changing their life? My feet are in the water. Will the sea part?

1 comment:

Liz said...

Susan,
Your blog is wonderful!! My name is Liz. I'm a member of Sharon's food storage group. You seem like such a fun person. Wish we lived closer. I live in Missouri. I just turned 50 and have been concerned about living self-sufficiently as we get older. Your right, attitude and laughter can make all the difference. My hubby, Rick, is learning about permaculture. I don't know how familiar you are with that, but most things in your garden are perennial and complement each other with nutrients each needs, etc. It requires less initial work on your part as the years go by. I'm working real hard at remembering to use my legs to bend over and all that good stuff. It creeps up on you quickly after 50. Rick has tried to convince me that we should have a composting toilet. Yes, we should...just give me a comfortable bedpan ;). I look forward to your blog. Go Susan! Liz